My mom used to make Hamburger Helper for dinner sometimes. It’s one of those foods that is just so comforting to me. I was craving it one day and decided it was time to come up with a healthier alternative that I could make at home with ingredients that I had. I’ve made this more than once and it’s delicious every time. It’s so good that I feel guilty eating it for some reason!
Instead of beef, I use ground turkey breast. Here’s a little tip: If you buy ground turkey in place of beef- you want to check the label to see if its turkey breast meat. I was fooled for a while before I read the labels. I thought I was getting less fat. One day I compared the label and realized the fat content was similar unless I bought breast meat! Keep an eye out.
I also used a box of pasta that has added fiber, protein, and omega’s this time.
- 1 Ib ground turkey
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 box whole wheat pasta
- 1 cup FF plain Greek yogurt
- 3 TBS corn starch
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 2 TBS garlic powder
- 1 TBS sugar
- ½ TBS salt
- ¼ TBS pepper
- ½ TBS paprika
- Cayenne if desired
- Enough water to cover pasta.
- Use a large stock pot for this! This recipe makes a lot.
- Brown your turkey in a large stock pot.
- Add in a can of diced tomatoes, pasta, water to cover the pasta, and spices.
- Cook the pasta until just BEFORE el dente with the lid on.
- While it’s cooking add enough cold water to corn starch in a pouring instrument to make a slurry; once the pasta has reached el dente add the corn starch slurry to the pot and stir, let it thicken.
- Check your pasta for doneness. When it’s done remove it from the heat. Let it cool for a few minutes. Add and stir in the yogurt now.
- *May need more spices or corn starch based on the amount of water left at the end of cooking
Leave a Reply