Majority of America still gets excited over taco night! And rightfully so- they’re one of the more delicious food combinations ever thought up by the human mind. Plus, who doesn’t like taco leftovers? Restaurant versions can be full of bad fat and salt. Even the ones we make at home can expand our waist lines. Tacos don’t have to be a bad end to your full day of eating nutritiously.
These tacos pass the RD’s test. For starters they are made with much leaner turkey breast meat instead of ground beef. We all know how good beans are for us; this meat mixture has added black beans to add even more nutritional value. Last- instead of a store bought package, we can make our own taco seasoning and leave out the salt and anything else that might be added that is not necessary if we make it in our own kitchen.
Luckily, tacos are great way to eat a full serving of veggies. You can load up on them- they add a lot of nutritional value for very little added calories. Plus a light sprinkling of cheese and some fat free Greek yogurt make it feel slightly sinful. Substituting out the sour cream for Greek yogurt is just good common sense at this point. Sure, we have all heard it is a great substitute- but have you actually given it a try. I finally tried it one night out of desperation (we had some in the house but no sour cream). I couldn’t believe it- the taste was identical. I haven’t bought sour cream since.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast (check the label for the word breast)
- 1 can black beans
- 3 TBS homemade taco seasoning
- 1 heaping TBS corn starch
- 3 TBS olive oil
- Your favorite taco fixings
- Add your olive oil to a pan and brown and break up your ground turkey breast over medium-high heat. Turkey breast will take a little more effort to break up than ground beef.
- While cooking, in a liquid measuring device, add your corn starch and taco seasoning with 1.5 cups of water. Stir to mix up the corn starch. Also, drain and rinse your black beans in a strainer.
- Once the Turkey is cooked add your beans, and water mixture to the meat. Stir to combine.
- Allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes. The liquid should start to thicken and will continue to thicken a bit more once it cools.
- Prepare your other taco ingredients as usual.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy.
Leave a Reply