Tomato and caramelized onion flatbread, this is the stuff my dreams are made of! It’s a great side to a nice salad for dinner or lunch. It’s also a great vegan pizza alternative. Tomatoes and caramelized onion are a perfect combo for on top of crusty bread, don’t ya think?
I am always looking for something to have with my salads. I LOVE salad, but I’m not the kind of gal to eat a dainty little salad and be pleased. No. I need something substantial. It needs to either be the type of salad that has a lot of warm/roasted vegetables on it, like my magic green salad, or like many of the ones I’ve posted to Instagram @KristinBellRD. OR my salads need to be served with flatbread. Exhibit A.
I suggest making a large salad for the family and serving it on a huge platter family style (my favorite) and making this flatbread and cutting it into small pieces for portion control. So we are reversing the typical pizza with a small side salad for a salad and a side of flatbread. You see what I did there? Eh, ehh (elbow nudge).
You might also like this Tomato and Mango Flatbread. What do you like to serve with your salad?
- Pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- Tomato sauce
- 2 Roma tomatoes cut on a diagonal
- 1 onion
- Sea salt
- Begin by chopping your onion in rings or strips, they shrink when cooked.
- Add a tiny bit of oil in your pan over medium heat, move them around frequently.
- After about 15 minutes add salt and pepper and continue cooking until done.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and put grill pan over high heat to start getting it very hot. *If you are not going to use a grill pan method, cook as if you would cook any pizza; 400 around 20 minutes usually works for me.
- Stretch your dough into the shape and thickness you would like.
- Spray your grill pan and put the dough onto the hot pan.
- Cook until there are grill marks on the bottom.
- Take the pan off the heat and flip the dough.
- Top the flatbread with your favorite marinara sauce, tomatoes, caramelized onions, sprinkle with sea salt and oregano.
- Finish the flatbread in the preheated oven for 10-15 more minutes.
- Cut and serve.